Warnings about using coupons


I have to admit, I've been couponing for a little over a year. When I first started, I was spending more than I needed to. If there was a good deal to be found, I was there. It didn't matter what it was for, I had to it. So what if I didn't wear contacts. The solution was only $.50! This quickly got old. All I was doing was shopping!

Couponing can be addicting. Make sure you tailor it to your own family's needs. It may not be worth it to you to go out now and buy toothpaste if it's $.25. You may want to wait till it's $.75. That's ok! You don't have to get every deal out there.

The thing I've learned is, deals cycle. It will come back again. Don't drive yourself crazy driving to do it all. I would focus on one store at a time. Shop there, learn their coupon policy and/or their rewards program. After a few weeks, add another one in. Each penny you save is "good enough".

You do not need to shop every day at every store. I've cut back a lot. My goal is once a week, but I still find myself popping into CVS a few times during the week. Do whatever works for YOU. Every cent you save is a cent you didn't spend. I get a sick enjoyment out of couponing lol. But that's my thing, no one else has to do that. Try to set small goals for yourself. Whatever works.

Keep track of what you've spent. I was shocked at first to see how much I spend when I first started couponing. But it was a learning experience. Yes, I will still buy things I will never use. As long as I "make" money off it through rebates or reward programs. Also, I've learned what's a good deal and what's not. When you first start out, you may think it's a steal to buy toothpaste at $1.00 and buy 20 of them because it's so cheap, not realizing how often you can get toothpaste for free! Over time you will realize what's a good price for items you use. I like free or moneymakers, but that's not always realistic.

Don't deprive yourself of something you want or need just because you don't have a coupon and have to pay full price.

Start small and work from there. Try to save $10.00 off your grocery bill. Then $20.00 and so on.

No comments:

Post a Comment